View Single Post
Old 09-02-2008, 10:50 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridagal View Post
Dear Evonne,
Your posts have really touched a nerve for me because two and a half years ago when I was hired at my health care position I chose not to tell them I had been diagnosed with PD a year before. I was afraid that I would be discriminated against. Having worked a long time in the health care field (for 26 years) I thought having a disability that was seen as very debilitating would be detrimental to my employment. To make it even worse I was asked to disclose if I had one of about 3 rare diseases, and yes, Parkinson's disease. I did NOT want to lie, But I did. The form asked me to sign saying I didn't have the illness, and also if I needed any help for a disability, AND if I didn't tell the truth I'd be in big trouble, Like fired I think. I did not get their free health insurance. I plan to never use the disabilty insurance that was included with my employment. Today, it gets harder and harder to hide this illness, but in looking back, I do think I made the right decision for me, but some days it is so HARD to keep on keeping on. I cannot look ill, I have to stay upbeat, be very competent, Do my job really well so nobody thinks I'm ill. You have avoided those consequences of not disclosing and I applaud your honesty! All the best Evonne, in your job quest! Way to go! FG
FG,

Thanks for your encouraging words. As I said, only time will tell if I did the right thing or not. I do feel pretty good about it, but I am a little scared that it might backfire on me!

I am sorry that you feel like you have to put on a front at work when you are not feeling well. I know how it feels to feel bad and have to go on just like an ordinary person. On top of PD, I am also a type 1 diabetic. It is a real roller coaster ride some days! I totally relate to it being hard just to keep on keeping on. There are mornings when I feel so stiff, achy, rigid and shaky. I sometimes ask myself what in the world am I doing??? The reality is that I don't know what I would be doing if I weren't doing this. I have had days when I didn't even want to get out of bed and face the world. PD is a pretty devastating thing to be facing. The nature of the disease is ugly, but it is reality and I accept it. My goal from this point on in my life is to make the most of each day that I am able to do the things that I want to do. I am grateful for all of the blessings in my life and I hope to be able to be a blessing to others. FG, you are in my thoughts and prayers. Hang in there!

Evonne
Evonne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote