View Single Post
Old 11-08-2006, 01:43 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Great thread MrsD!

I just wanted to add that my son, who has severe reactions to gluten and other things, MUST have his zinc supp. to speed his healing when he is mistakenly glutened.

When we were first on his special diet, he did better with taking supplements almost every day. A couple of years into the diet, he seems only to need them two or three days per week. We are now four years in and I supplement him... maybe... once a week for insurance... and not at as high a level (about 1/2 of the usual dose).

When he gets 'contaminated' we do 25mg of B-complex, 25 mg of zinc and Evening Primrose Oil for 3 to 4 days. We always know when he is almost finished because he will (sorry) poop out tonnes of mucous (usually within 2 days)... Then we supp. for 2 more days after that just to help rebuild his stores. Then he seems fine.

Note: We are very low in refined sugar, using it only during holidays. I do supplement him during days of refined sugar intake and find that to be helpful too.

I'm not saying this is what everyone should do because my daughter doesn't seem to have the same requirement. But I wanted to make note so that other people would keep hope that they will also find their 'magic' combination. I feel very lucky to have found this for my son... although it helps me too, I've noticed.

Last note: Although he is does not seem autistic and I've not had him tested for pyrolles (when I read this stuff I always think I should get him tested for it though), he still seems to do very well on the same type of regimen suggested for these children.

Edit: I was just reading your magnesium thread and it prompted me to come back and post that I do give him epsom salt baths too during these more stressful 'dietary trials'. I do notice the difference between when he has them and when he doesn't.... So, in effect, I guess I'm supplementing his magnesium also.
01/02/2002 Even Small Amounts of Gluten Cause Relapse in Children With Celiac Disease (Docguide.com) 12/20/2002 The symptomatic and histologic response to a gf diet with borderline enteropathy (Docguide.com)

Last edited by KimS; 11-08-2006 at 01:54 PM.
KimS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote