View Single Post
Old 09-03-2008, 07:43 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I spent about 40 minutes on the phone with the advocate yesterday afternoon. She was wonderful, has a15 yr old with exactly the same problems as mine. She gave me some great pointers and advised me that when the meeting is at it's end and if my son or I are not satisfied then we do not have to sign but I forgot to ask her if there is anyway that if I do sign and things don't work can we make adjustments or do I need to call for another IEP. I think they told me that I can only do so many IEPs during a school year. One I thought.

She is so busy, there have been huge cutbacks and at this time there is only one advocate in each of the 3 or 4 largest counties in the lower peninsula. It is ridiculous. There is no way there is anyone available to come with me. So I am going to attempt to do this.

This schedule that they have these teenagers on is ridiculous. Getting a 16 yr old teenage boy up 5:30 in the morning is absurd. I keep hearing all these studies that they are doing talking about how much sleep teens need and what hours they are at their best yet the education system is set up so that zombies are filling the schools in the early morning hours lol. My poor kid, between his meds, biological clock, sleeping habits with his mental illness, sleeps on and off pretty much through his first two hours. Thank goodness last year he had two teachers that were very understanding and as long as he worked and tried to stay awake they weren't too harsh. Hopefully this year the morning training center is hands on and he won't have a chance to sleep.

I am scared to death to go alone. It is day after tomorrow. You guys pray for me to get through this and to get it right.