View Single Post
Old 11-08-2006, 04:28 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default re:

Thanks mrsd for your comments.

I had tried magnesium taurate earlier in the Summer for the headaches and it didn’t seem to help much for that. Regarding Toprol and magnesium, I had a few strange initial side effects after first starting Toprol XL. I actually began having some chest pains, as well as leg cramps and fatigue. I took a couple magnesium taurate capsules (125 mg each) during this time and the “chest pains” got worse. I took a BP reading during this time (I had previously bought a portable BP monitor) and the reading was 119/106 (strange diastolic) at 55 pulse rate. I got an appt. with my PCP doctor (who had prescribed it) a few days later and he couldn’t find anything out of the ordinary. Within several days after onset, these side effects gradually faded away and I have had no further issues (for well over 2 months now). I have since been a little wary of taking any more magnesium though while on Toprol.

Regarding Vitamin K, I would also be wary about taking Vitamin K1 (the one that primarily effects coagulation) as well, but Vitamin K2 appears to be potentially very good. One of the nutrients I researched was Vitamin K (see Vitamin K, Reference Information) as it is one of the potentially depleted nutrients of GABA-A receptor complex agonists (sedatives, etc.). There is currently a lot of research and some excitement going on with Vitamin K2, as there is with Vitamin D. If you get a chance, try to look over this information and see what you think.

I am mainly taking CoQ10 as it is a nutrient potentially depleted by Toprol XL (metoprolol), per the Drug-Induced Nutrient Depletion Handbook. I referenced CoQ10 at Dr. Sahelian’s site http://www.raysahelian.com/coq10.html for dosage information, but I will consider your recommendation to increase the dose. Regarding copper, I initially thought I might be overloaded (causing the headaches), which is why I requested the copper test, but the test result was actually low.

I am a little leery about posting so much detail, but I am just tired of telling doctors my symptoms and getting that “blank stare” from them and I know there are those such as yourself who are knowledgeable and willing to help. This is also why I began doing my own research (as I have felt like it). The constant “dullness” and headaches are what continue to bother me the most and all of these issues have kept me from working for a long time. Maybe this information may also be of some help to others.

Last edited by west1; 01-19-2007 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Added a small clarification.
west1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote