View Single Post
Old 09-04-2008, 03:52 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hi Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronhutton View Post
Hi Ibby,
I have had PD for 17 years now, and the slightest amount of sinemet now gives me writhing dyskinesia. Dyskinesia started around year 4 to 5, but was not a problem unless I overdosed. It has got steadily worse, until now I have cut back sinemet so drastically that I managed all this week on two 50 mg tablets of sinemet, and 1mg mirapex per day. Surprisingly I can manage on that small amount. I still drive (no accidents for 24 years.)
I had 2 dental appointments last month, and I went to the dentist without any medication, to avoid writhing about when I was in the chair. Previously the dentist had to abort a filling when I could not keep still, after taking just one 50mg levodopa.
I also believe dyskinesia is not researched enough. It could give an insight into PD. I can precipitate dyskinesia when I start to eat. The act of chewing seems to initiate it. Am I alone in this?? I suspect it only happens to long term sufferers. How long have you had PD? What level of L-dopa are you on?
Ron
Pd symptoms since 1999, self dx 2000, little sinemet in Fall 2004, mucuna 2005. currently 1sinemet 10/100 & 1 g mucuna powder together 2x day. this gives me about 3 hours each time. i too go to the dentist unmedicated for the same reason. can't sit still medicated. i get Nitrous Oxide at the dentisit - it helps alot...but i have to be carried out of there! i know what you mean about merely chewing bringing on dk. it seems that way sometimes , sometimes not. i think that is related to the multi-tasking DK rick mentions below.

My primary DK is in my lft ankle/foot, area of first symptoms - foot drag, toe cramping, foot turning on its outside edge and a lifetime habit of my R leg bearing most of my weight when standing. I think the whole thing is related to some blockage above the ankle and a disruption of normal energy flow.
I think this may be common and i wish the pros would consider PD as originating in the BODY and eventually causing the l-dopa shortage --- ie worn out from over time! They should have DK study clinics to see what is going on. Yes, I think spent neurons are an effect rather than a cause, eventually adding to the probs. I'm stuck on this notion! Ibby
Ibken is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote