Thread: hummingbirds!!!
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2008, 04:19 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wink re: toonies...

Petunias are easy in many ways. But...they do not provide nectar to hummingbirds that I know.

They DO attract them however. The little guy I managed to photograph (a miracle really) has stayed with us and not moved on until we left this morning. I put up a secondary cheap feeder just for him (it is a cheap bottom, with a pop bottle top), since bear tend to destroy feeders left up there. One needs to clean them out every week as well, since mold grows in them, and kills the birds (infects their tongues).

I think this hummer on this thread is a male, with the markings on his throat. A new fledgling, who may return next season.
He seems to be staking us out. There are two others as well, but he seems to be dominant.

Where we are up there is very remote...and ANY color at all brings them in. But they cannot feed off toonies. They do get nectar from JewelWeed, which just started to bloom as we left today.

Where we are up there is very harsh weather-wise. Toonies do well in cool, rainey or windy weather. They don't grow mold either. I will be looking for new things for next season, as I always do.

I have some more pics, but they are on the other computer which is still in transit with my husband. I'll put them up on this thread in a few days or so.

I am very pleased with my SONY... I bought it based on recommendations from Consumer Reports, which said it was a best buy at the time (3 yrs ago) for nature subjects, candid portraits, and sports events. My son who had the more complex expensive camera did not get the shots I did. He was a bit envious, but a good sport about it. The trick I used, was anticipating the movement of the bird...since I know them well. He used the multi-shoot function which I don't have. If the light is good, the action button on the automatic catches the wings really well. Poor lighting gives huge "noise" and ruins the shot.

I have some of his shots, and will review them too, and put them up. I really enjoy hummers. On our island we have the smallest bird (hummingbird) and the smallest mammal (pigmy shrew). Very exciting to me, miraculous living things!

I have a special trick I just learned this season for fabulous petunias. I will be putting that up on
the Gardening portion of Social chat. It is a special bloom stimulating fertilizer. I'll put the
pictures to prove it. Toonies are heavy feeders. And they appreciate not going dry between waterings.
To get the best color you need to fertilize every WEEK, with dilute high phosphate type
soluble fertilizer.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Doody (09-07-2008), snoozie (09-04-2008), Twinkletoes (09-04-2008), weegot5kiz (09-04-2008)