View Single Post
Old 09-04-2008, 05:44 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsd View Post
also.

If you are only getting levothyroxine and have symptoms, I'd suggest you get some T3 added.

When I was 30 I had the foot/hand symptoms severely.
Doctors could not tag my hypo because my blood work was nearly normal...it was a radio uptake that showed damage and then I finally got the levo. Within 3 mons my feet improved about 90% --but they are not perfect to this day. Within a year the pain stopped, and the tingling continued as my feet healed.
I have only burning occasionally now.

Levothyroxine requires two elements for conversion in the tissues to active T3. Levo is inactive T4. These elements are zinc and selenium. If you are deficient in either, your levo will not work well for you at all. So consider some supplements of these to see if they work for you. Some drugs deplete zinc heavily...ACE inhibitors for example used for blood pressure.

Doses--- max selenium 100mcg/day
zinc up to 30 mg a day ( best form is OptiZinc brand)

I'll be back next week.
It's good to hear other stories of thyroid neuropathy, and hear how long the recovery takes.

Once I get my TSH stable (it's still nowhere near normal despite 3 months of treatment), if I still don't feel like things are improving, I will seek to add T3 in. I am also taking selenium supplements, as well as a few other things.

I also bought the Jarrows 5000 B12 and am on it every day now, in a month or so I'll get a B12 test done to check I am storing it OK.

In the 3 months since I commenced T4 treatment, my feet have actually improved a bit... my legs are still fairly painful though. Long journey I feel.
gaz_gtr is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote