Thread: Tramadol
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2008, 07:57 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default yeah and no

Hi Hairdresser,

Tramadol in canada is currently listed as non narcotic despite the fact that the chemical composition is a narcotic form. It is in the real world a narcotic and will likely be changed by the gov. to a narcotic controlled substance.

I have been on it and found it worked in the beginning but needed to up the dose. I now change my meds from oxycontin long acting to fentanyl patch so my body does not get too used to the drug. I change when I feel I need to go up on the doses to get good pain control. Switching meds like this helps the pain as you don't get used to the med and you can rotate on two meds indefinately. I far prefer to do this than go up and up on the same drug. The body handles each drug differently so you can take one for as long as you feel it is working and you don't need to increse. when you feel the need to go up you change the drug. Just a thought and this is what I am currently doing to prevent the ever increasing med issue.

As for tramadol it is a very weak pain control method. Long acting is good and you can go up to I believe 300mg a day. If you find you are needing extra breakthrough meds then perhaps you need to up your long acting dose. tylenol is not the greatest drug to take for breakthrough pain anyhow!!!!!! There is short acting tramadol with tylenol in it called tramadol perhaps that would be a better choice for extra pain control or even ibuprophen, but watch your gut with it.

If you find that this drug is not the answer to your pain control then it may be time to try a different method....or drug....long acting drugs......oxycontin, ms contin (morphine long acting) or percocet as a breakthrough medication. Remember muscle pain may be due to tightness and a muscle relaxant as well may help the pain....flexaril, baclofen, or vallium (the best in my book and only real muscle realxant) to help with the pain

I hope some of this helps you!!!
take care my canadain friend!!!
love and hugs,
Victoria

How poor are they who have not patience!
What wound did ever heal but by degrees.

gibbrn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dolfinz (09-05-2008), hairdresser (09-05-2008)