View Single Post
Old 09-05-2008, 01:59 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Blush Do you look sick/disabled? My recent adventures...

Well, previous to my HiCy experience, I didn't look "sick" or disabled. Yes, I used a cane at times (less than I should've used it, that's for sure!) - but I didn't look disabled, ya know? I didn't exactly get funny looks when parking in a disabled parking spot - I always felt weird and would almost unconsciously limp as I walked away from or towards my car. I know, insane.

Now having undergone chemo - while I still don't look "sick" - I am, however, bald. I don't go out bald - I usually wear a hat (a funny hat that my friend crocheted that looks like one of the Ugly Dolls). However, being that it is 100+ degrees here, wearing a crocheted hat is hard!! My poor sweaty head. LOL. So, I switched to like a scarf type thing (not a big fancy one but not a bandana...somewhere in between). Well, it's pretty unmistakable that I've had chemo.

I will tell you this much: people - well, strangers, are a lot nicer to me. Not that they weren't nice before, but it's almost like they trip over themselves to help me.

Example #1: I was in Best Buy (electronics store) - and I was at the register and was asking a question about a product and I wanted to know where to find it in the store. Well, the employee said it was in the back of the store and that he'd go run and get it for me. I told him that I'd go get it - but he totally insisted on going for me. If you don't know - this isn't usual behavior of people at Best Buy - NOT notorious for good customer service. In fact, it's usually near impossible to get anyone to pay attention to you, let alone help you. It wasn't until I was back in my car and looked in the rearview mirror and realized that I looked sick (but not sickly)....and it really explained this unusual encounter in the store.

Then the other day, I was at a park...lots of people, there was a band playing, etc. I was walking to where my blanket was set up - and this woman came up to me. She was wearing a bandana on her head - had VERY short hair. She had come up to ask me if I had had chemo. We then stood and talked for quite a bit...she was very nice. I commented on how I liked her bandana (a sage color with peace signs all over it)....and after we parted, I had sent my friend over to ask her where she got it from. Well, a little later - this woman came up to me and gave me the bandana!! It was SO sweet...and a moment I will surely not forget any time soon.

Tonight I was out shopping and the people in the store were also tripping over themselves to help me! Again, not in the way salespeople usually push to help (let alone in stores where salespeople don't ever push to help).

I don't like that I look sick - but it is so amazing since often with MS - you don't look sick and so no one might know that you were sick or suffering. It's not like I wore a badge that said, "I have MS and feel like $h!t"...but that was the truth of the matter. Now that it's more overt - it is just different and a little weird. Of course, most people just think I have cancer. (almost wish I did over MS)

Anyhow, not sure why I posted this...just wanted to share the experiences I guess.

~Keri
RedPenguins is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
braingonebad (09-05-2008), Dejibo (09-05-2008), dmplaura (09-05-2008), ewizabeth (09-05-2008), Jappy (09-05-2008), karousel (09-05-2008), Natalie8 (09-05-2008), SallyC (09-05-2008), Twinkletoes (09-05-2008), Victor H (09-05-2008), weegot5kiz (09-05-2008)