View Single Post
Old 09-05-2008, 11:55 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hello? Asking for Guidance

Hello. I am writing to see if by chance some one may be able to help me.

I have been diagnosed with RSD or sometimes referred to as CRPS I in my right lower extremity. I had tore a tendon in my ankle in January of 2007 and have inquired it a few times since. I was diagnosed in May of 2008. I lost all ability to move my toes in late March.

Since the diagnoses I have had 3 Sympathetic Nerve Blocks. Have an endless pharmaceutical of pain, nerve, seizure and blood pressure (for circulation) medicine. I have reached a medical gridlock. The Pain Clinic states that I need to have surgery to fix the tear in the tendon to releave some of the pain to lessen the RSD. The surgeons are saying that I can not have surgery do to the RSD or I need to go 6 months with no symptoms then they can review me for surgery. I even went the the University of Iowa's Pain Clinic in July of 2008.

The University of Iowa stated the I could not have been diagnosed since I had not had surgery on my foot yet.The little mobility of my ankle has deteriorated, have lost ability to walk or sit for any length of time over a half hour. I went to a Neurologist whom did an EMG and confirmed that it was not a pinched nerve but the RSD and tear in the tendon.

The Neurologist referred me to the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota and they will see me but it is a 6 to 8 month wait. I am not sure if I can really wait that long as things seem to have progressed quickly from bad to worse; as since Mid- July I have been unable to work and totally disabled by my Neurologist.

I am hoping if you are reading this and familiar with this that you might have some advice for me. Also if you are familiar with a Doctor or Clinic that has a helped in treating this. I live in the state of Iowa but am willing to travel if needed but if can stay close by that would be great with the cost of expenses.

As I write this, I am being sent back to an Orthopedic as my Neurologist feels that is the next step since this is not Neurological but the tear and RSD causing the problem given the length of the wait to get to the Mayo Clinic.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Also I appreciate any help or advice I can get as I feel like I am on a road that is fairly dark and being passed around from one doctor to the other.
Feather is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote