View Single Post
Old 09-05-2008, 12:14 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootsie View Post
I live in NC and I don't see many roses. I love floribunda and tea roses and mine are just about dead.

Our clay soil is likely the cause. I know roses don't like their roots to be impacted.

There is a brand of rose that does well here; for the life of me I can't think of the name, but they are very popular though they don't seem like a real rose to me.

I like the roses that you can cut and bring in.

I guess you have to 'bloom where you are planted' and that means that here we have other lovely flowers that do very well. I'll just have to get to love them.

Tootsie
Roses can be planted in clay soil. The area where I live has clay soil. You might have to amend the soil around the roots with sand or loam to let the roots grow. That's all that you really need to do.

In fact, out in my field where I do nothing, I have the most beautiful wild roses, Rosa woodsii, that you will ever see. They get no care from me at all and the only water they get is rainfall, which is very little. The soil is clay.

Roses will adapt to their environment very well. Mine thrive on neglect! This year, they've not had any fertilizer, and I've pruned them once. They are doing very well. They do get regular water and that's about it!

“When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” - Henry Ford
tovaxin_lab_rat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ewizabeth (09-05-2008)