View Single Post
Old 09-05-2008, 02:05 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Had to respond

Feather....I haven't posted in over a year but when I saw your post I had to respond. Our stories are so similar. I fell on ice about 3 years ago and broke my ankle, suffered a third degree sprain and tore a tendon. The bone healed, the sprain resolved but the torn tendon remains. Like you, I've been told by 3 ortho docs that they could not touch the torn tendon unless the RSD resolved. I've done extensive research on the subject and it seems that what the orthos are telling me is accurate. They also told me I had only 2 years to have the tendon fixed otherwise they couldn't do it. It's been 3 years now so I've lost my window of opportunity but I hope you have better success. Have you had any nerve blocks yet? I had 2 in the beginning of this and while they didn't make the rsd resolve, I do believe they slowed down its spread. Like many here I've tried different meds but none have dulled the pain enough to be able to walk. What has helped me the most with the pain is a leg brace also known as an AFO. I use this along with a cane...without it I can not walk because of the pain. I would look into the nerve blocks. Most pain clinics do them. In the meantime if you are having trouble walking your ortho doc could give you a walking boot or send you to be measured for an AFO (ankle foot orthodic) Where do you live?
I hope this helps a little...at least it's a place to start. Please let me know how you make out.....Jeannie
used to be is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote