View Single Post
Old 09-06-2008, 09:33 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kee800 View Post
I recieved a letter today about my son's payments from his father's SSDI....IT Stated "We can no longer pay benefits because of work his father did about 10 years ago. I don't understand and the local office cannot disclose the father's info to me because we are not together and I have no contact with him. Does anyone here have any Ideas what this may be about. I'm not sure how long his dad has been recieving SSDI, but it's been a couple of years for my son. this is very unexpected and they say I can ask for reconsideration but I'm not the claimant. I wouldn't know what to ask for or o what grounds. I do know thathe IS disabled.
If your son was receiving SSDI based on the father's disability and they found he worked and was not disabled, this may be the reason. If they ask for an overpayment back, appeal it, on the grounds that it wasn't your fault and you can't afford to pay it back. If the SSDI was terminated, and your son has a disability, then apply for SSI. They should have told you this in the letter. If your son was getting SSDI based solely on a minor child of a disabled person, then I'm not certain he is eligible for anything. You might need to find a social security attorney too. I'm not sure why if he worked in the past, and is disabled now, that your son would not still be eligible for Social Secuity. There might be a reduced benefit, but it sounds like they might be going after your ex for lying to SSA, and trying to get an overpayment. Follow through with the appeal process and maybe you can get somewhere. Also, if you have a child support order follow through on enforcing that. The DA can get somewhere, when maybe you cannot.
vconnol is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote