View Single Post
Old 09-06-2008, 05:55 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb I would like to add....

I've been home now for a couple of days and watching TV.
(we have NO TV where we live for the summers).

I see Singulair being heavily promoted in just the last day or so.
Very engaging ads IMO. The patent must be due to expire soon, because ADS become
more frequent before that event.

I will say I took this when I was working steadily daily, because I am allergic to some drug dusts/residues. This is an occupational hazard for me. Singulair really helped, and especially for my minor asthma.

BUT--- Singulair has been in the news recently for causing DEPRESSION.
http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...ide-link_N.htm

Two seasons ago I was forced to get a light visor during the winter to help with depression. A major first in my life.
At that time I was using Singulair daily. Now I am getting old, and that is also significant.

But if folks here are considering using Singulair for allergies, be advised that this risk may impact bipolar depression.
Singulair blocks leukotrienes, which are the triggers for releasing histamine, which then causes allergic symptoms.
Since histamine is a neurotransmitter releaser in the brain, it follows that disrupting this sequence may impact mood.
I know it impacts the immune system, because severe infection and/or pneumonia are listed as side effects for Singulair therapy. Leukotrienes are the signals when you become infected with viruses or bacteria that cause infection. Blocking them, removes the signal to your white cells to attack the invader.

Don't assume that if you suddenly become depressed for no reason, that your RX meds could not be a reason. If you are using Singulair, that just might be a trigger for you.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (09-06-2008)