View Single Post
Old 09-07-2008, 09:36 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

It is so great that your mom is so close - I know my mom has been just great! She drives me and my hubby crazy, but it has been wonderful having her here - in fact we are thinking about having her move in here with us and staying upstairs so she has privacy......She had been staying with my little sis, but that doesn't seem to be working out right now.

Yeah, it was kind of hard taking care of my Grandmother, but it had to be done, and I loved her so much that it really wasn't that much work. After her heart transplant she needed full time help and I'm glad I was able to help. My dad fell in love with this awful woman and after that stoppped helping my Gram out. In fact, I though about staying with her full time, but she did finally get a live in nurse, and was really independant - she was truly the best and I miss her so much. Se passed when my son was 2, so he doesn't really remember her, but I tell him stories about her all the time.

I think my Cellcept has kicked in finally! My hubby and sis have both said that I seem to have much more energy - only time will tell!

Have you put on a lot of weight since your surgery? I used to be a size 2/4, now I'm up to a 8/10 - it's driving me crazy! I know most of it is the steroids, and am thankful that I can now swallow, eat and all of that, but it's just weird looking like this - I was only 5 lbs. heavier when I went in to have my son! Do you have strange cravings now that you are on all the meds? I was talking to this wonderful woman at my Cancer Care clinic, and she has all the same cravings as I do - especailly when she was going thorugh chemo.....she was such a sweet lady! She was so brave, too! I have met the most amazing people since I've been sick. They are so strong and brave that it makes me feel like such a big baby.............

How are you doing today? Are you feeling better? I feel a little under the weather today - sore throat and all of that......I plan on staying on the sofa/in bed all day. My son went camping with his best friend last night and should be home soon.

Take care!
Erin

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtail View Post
Hi Erin,
thanks!! Mum lives about a 3 minute drive away, so she's there if I need her, her twin lives 3 doors down from me, so she will be right here if I need her. At the moment I'm coping on my own, resting not eating much, so I don't really need thier help.

I guess after my thymectomy in '03 I did really well for a while, it took months I think,worked part time. Now I don't feel I'm doing as well, or I wonder if I wasn't doing great back then but had not choice to soldier on and struggle with life. Before the thym' I had not strength or energy, I would come home from work, and have a glass of milk for dinner. At least now except on my worst days I can cook dinner. The housework sometimes gets left for a while, but on the whole I'm better than when I was first diagnosed, just not back to my old self!!
I often think I'm still in denile, I sometimes push myself way to far, when I should be resting or at least taking it easier.
Wow, that must have been a hard thing taking care of your Grandmother from such a young age!
I bought myself a sewing machine last year, and have made a few things, and hopefully will continue to do so. I really do enjoy sewing, a bug I caught off my Mum.
Hope things continue to improve
redtail