View Single Post
Old 09-07-2008, 02:55 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Okay I will write this stuff down. I think tomorrow I will go back because I believe all the stuff I really wanted to see is in his discipline folder.

Really what I wanted was to find a different way for them to score for him, grade wise. District wise they score 40, 40, 20 with the 20 being the final exam. 20% of the final grade. Now that I think of it I am going to have them show me where it says that is how the district scores.

Last year he kept getting Es in a class then near the end when he really clamped down he brought his grade up to a D then got a C on the final yet still failed the class. I called the school and asked why and the principal redid the scoring and did the math for me and everything and said that is is because the final is only 20% of the grade. Quite frankly I think that is a farce. So basically the kids can have somebody else do their homework all year, use the books and stuff but when it comes to taking the test to see if they really learned anything then that score matters little. Seems ridiculous to me.

Homework is not my son's strong point because by the time he gets home he is emotionally and mentally exhausted, homework is really that last thing he wants to spend a couple of hours on so I wanted to see if there were different ways we could either do the scoring or different methods or styles the teachers could come up with as opposed to just sitting and home and doing 15 to 20 problems or reading 2 chapters and answering 10 questions at the end.

I don't know what or how to get that across and that is a big thing I needed the advocate for. She couldn't come because their funding is so low that out of the 6 or so major counties they only have one person for each and they are stretched so thin that no one was available. So she tried to talk me through it. I still feel like they got what they wanted though I did get his testing out of English 1 and we have an option of doing some testing out of some others.