View Single Post
Old 09-07-2008, 03:25 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default New and need advise please

Hi everyone,

I am new to this disease called MS. ( For those who saw my first post in the intro area, my apoliges, I had a bad night last night and got on the pity party train).

I am 50 and after many test and Doctors I have MS. I have some questions, and not sure where to start.

My Neuro Doc feels I am in early stages of MS and at my last appointment told me he may or may not begin treating me for it. I will see him again in 2 weeks. All of the research I am reading implies that early is the best time to begin treatment with Avonex or one of the interferons. Even the National MS Society says that.

Although my EVP test was normal, my MRI showed several lesions and elevated T2 signals in a few areas. My Doc said there are some things in my Neuro Exam that I falied? I recently had a LP which I will find out results from that when I see him in 2 weeks.

I started back in the spring of this year with what I thought was just a case of needing new eye glasses, things were very blurry. But then it went into severe eye pain ( which has started again over the weekend). I was told I had ON. which they passed me onto the Neuro Doc from there.

I have lots of problems with heat in the summer and a low tolerace for cold in the winter which is worse these days. I have bad spasms in my are and leg, and have had balance issues and a few falls. In my past history, I had horrible chest pains that felt like the onset of a heart attack...but was told they were spasms and now I wonder if thats related to MS? I never even told my Neuro Doc about thhat cause I never thought it could even be related.

Anyway, sorry this is so long...I am wondering what others think of this and any advise you all may have or questions I should talk to my Neuro Doc about at my next appointment.

For now he does have me taking PT for the balance issue and Amantadine for the fatigue, which I have not yet felt any different from taking it , yet anyway.

Over the past 20 years or so, I have had many times when thnigs physically seemed to go wrong with me, but I ignored them cause they all went away. Maybe they were related to MS as well? Whats your opinion on early treatment...as I said I do not have results back from the LP, but what if it is normal?

Thanks ahead of time for listening to me ramble and advise you may have-Helen
Helen2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jappy (09-08-2008), SallyC (09-07-2008), weegot5kiz (09-07-2008)