View Single Post
Old 09-07-2008, 03:50 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Welcome and sorry to hear about the dx (diagnosis). But you're going to be surrounded by people who understand what you're going through in the friends you will make at NeuroTalk.

The "heart attack" type pain that you had might have been what's commonly called the "MS Hug." Look that up. You'll find interesting information about that. But never ignore that type of pain and assume that's what it is. It's always better to call the doc and let them know if you're having that type of pain.

Treating early is an option. There's good stuff out there. I was given the option of the CRABs drugs (Copaxone, Rebif, Avonex, Betaseron). I took the Copaxone because it wasn't going to give me flu-like symptoms even though it was a daily injection. Right now, I'm not on meds. But that's a LONG story!

Amantadine can take a little while to work. Provigil is another option. But insurance coverage may be an issue. Fatigue is just something you learn to live with.

Don't worry too much about what you failed in your neuro exam. Seriously! You failed whatever parts it was. Sure, it's fun to learn it but don't stress over it.

And that's good advice. Right now since you just got a dx, be kind to yourself. It's ok to have a pity party for a while, but then get off your butt and go about your life. You have a disease but the disease doesn't have you! Remember that--it's hard sometimes, but it's necessary. Otherwise, you walk around feeling sorry for yourself all the time. Who wants to do that????

Others will have their opinions on what type of drugs are right. Just remember, it's YOUR personal decision. Something you make and have to live with. So make the choice based on YOUR preference. And read everything you can get your hands on about the drugs--reputable stuff, so you understand them and the potential side-effects.

Information is power. It's going to help you take care of yourself better and ask your doc(s) good questions.

Consider getting and keeping copies of your medical records so that you have them should you want to change doctors. That means MRIs and all test results. Keep a file on yourself. It's smart--in more ways than one.

Look up the McDonald criteria. That's the diagnostic criteria for MS. You can see what you "need" to be dx'd with MS. You can see if it makes a difference what your LP shows.

Welcome!!
Jappy (09-08-2008), SallyC (09-07-2008), weegot5kiz (09-07-2008)