View Single Post
Old 11-09-2006, 03:24 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hello Ann,

The common thought is to avoid taking Levodopa (Sinemet) for as long as you can - while other avenues are still open. At diagnosis 6 years ago, (age 44.5) my Neurologist recommended the agonists first, (Requip and Mirapex) but neither did anything for me.

So, about a year later my symptoms were causing me trouble at work, so I went ahead with the L-dopa. I haven't regretted it ... I knew the score on side-effects, but I needed relief.

The first 4 years of L-dopa was like magic ... PD symptoms under control and no side effects ... but, things have went downhill quickly for me these last 2 years.

So although the Levodopa - induced Dyskinesia I experience currently has reached a severe and dibilitating level, it still isn't as bad as the Bradykinesia I suffer without it. It's a lesser of 2 evils.

I am planning to have DBS surgery early next year.

MikeTTF

P.S. Teeth clenching and handwriting that is near unreadable? Yep, I got that, too.

[QUOTE:AnnT2;35889]I read in a posting on this forum advice that we should avoid taking Sinemet. Why? How is it harmful?

I do take Sinemet, and my complaint is that while it allows me to move faster and, along with Amantadine, takes away my tremor, it also makes me clench my teeth. I am afraid that this clenching will have a negative effect on my teeth. Also, surprisingly, my handwriting suffers when I am ON Sinemet.

I would appreciate some input on Sinemet and how if affected you.

AnnT2[/QUOTE]
MikeTTF is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote