View Single Post
Old 09-09-2008, 08:02 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb prednisolone and related steroids

are hard on the body. So yes, over time, it may thin your bones, cause low potassium/magnesium, and harm the stomach.

It is hard to evaluate swelling of the feet. I'll use myself as an example. All vacation my feet were great (except when I had the viral attack/stiff neck and ear pain). Neither swelled up either. But as soon as I returned home, my feet AND HANDS have been mildly swollen, like they usually are. So what is different? Well, breathing polluted air, drinking chlorinated city water, and climbing stairs all day long. Those 3 things are missing on vacation. Also there is a different mattress to sleep on. The chairs you sit in! (my chairs here at the computer do not exist at our vacation place).

Lyrica and Neurontin cause swelling in many people. So I would consider it a culprit too, even at lower doses. If you are doing better, I would consider dropping it to see if your swelling improves.
Swelling also gets better if you supplement vitamin B6. I would use P5P if you can get it there, in doses no more than 50mg a day.

People who have alcohol intolerance or prior addiction really should use thiamine daily to support the alcohol dehydrogenase system. The newer better form is benfotiamine.
But I don't know if you have that over there either.

Shoes can be a culprit too. Plain sandals do not give support to the foot, and are hard if you walk long distances. If you have any pronation issues in the ankle (weak ankles) this pain can refer up the leg and down into the foot. Using proper orthotic supports can correct this. Sometimes just mechanical changes can be profound (this happened with my son).

Make sure your magnesium is a good type. If it is magnesium oxide---you are not benefiting from it. The oxide form is very common, and recently was tested in humans by taking blood levels after consuming and found to not be absorbed compared to other types-- the chloride delayed release and chelates like citrate/malate/glycinate/lactate were all far superior.

Make sure if you are taking thiamine you are getting enough.
300mg a day at least. You would have to take this separately from any mixed complex type (which are lower generally). Benfotiamine is better and longer lasting in the body. It is a fat soluble form of thiamine and has been used in Europe now for many years.

These suggestions are all I can think of for now. But see how they pertain to you.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote