Thread: Melatonin
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2006, 08:50 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I hope it's not a coincidence! I do see much better things with Langan when she has a good night's sleep so maybe that's what you're seeing!

Our neuro said there was no harm in giving it every night. I was very careful to ask about that on the front end and she was explicit that there is no problem giving it as long as we need it. There are some studies that showed a possible increase in seizures, so that's what she wanted us to watch for. When I got concerned about that, I took Langan off for a few days and seizures got worse so it wasn't a problem for us. There is one study that suggested better seizure control with melatonin- Langan is, unfortunately, also not in that group.

We were told we could use a higher dose if needed but I am trying to stay as low as I can and still get the good sleep. Langan still has a night here and there where she is just totally wired, but I think that's more her brain and less the lamictal on those nights. All in all, I would say the melatonin has been a lifesaver for us. Sleep is still not Langan's strongest point, but it is so much better now with the help.

Hope you have another good night and more great speech tomorrow!

(((hugs)))
Wendy, mom to Langan, the love of my life, born 7/19/02. Global delays, intractable seizures, mystery girl. VNS implanted 2/10/06, now on small dose of lamictal and fighting for seizure control, and wife to Jon, the other love of my life!!
langansmom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote