View Single Post
Old 09-10-2008, 02:35 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Rita. Sorry you're having to deal with wc, they really do suck!

I was injured at work in 2003 which led to my rsd and my experience with the whole thing was a nightmare. Most of the time it's really bad, especially if you end up disabled for whatever reason. RSD seems to be the worst thing to be dx with on wc.

Anyway, I settled a year and a half after it all started. I went through the same thing you are going through with the checks and all the rest. Having an attorney doesn't make things easier per se, it just takes a lot off of you.

Since you now have an attorney, you are NOT to talk to anyone from wc for any reason. If they contact you, refer them to your attorney. I had a deposition, most wc cases do. All that is, is a meeting with the patient, his/her lawyer, a lawyer from wc and a stenographer. WC asks lots of stupid questions and always wait a beat before answering in case your lawyer objects. If you don't understand a question, then say so. Just a tidbit to file away for later use.

There will most likely be one or more IME's. That stands for Independent Medical Exam. Both sides agree on a doc to do it then you go on the appointed day and time. It's really a big joke because the ime doc is being paid by wc and they'll write whatever wc wants them to write. That also goes for the docs. There are some cases of good ime docs and docs you get sent to while on wc, but they're the exception not the rule. Never let you hubby go in to see any doctor alone. Always be with him and if you can't be there then make sure someone else is. It's just a precaution really cause it's always good to have a "witness" there, especially at the ime's.

Whether to settle or not is a very individual thing. I settled because here in florida there is no lifetime medical so no reason to keep dragging it out. Most times the lawyer will throw out a very big number and it goes down from there. Find out in your state if there is lifetime medical or not and how wc settlements work. If you don't know where to look for that let me know what state you live in and I'll get the info for you. I'm really good at that. LOL

I can't think of anything else right now. If you have any specific questions, ask away and I'll do my best to answer. There are lots of people around who are on wc or used to be like me that will probably stop in and say something as well.

Hugs,

Karen

Living, loving and laughing with RSD for 14 years and counting.
GalenaFaolan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jomar (09-10-2008)