View Single Post
Old 09-10-2008, 06:00 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

Barb, I had asked my Neuro for it on numerous occasions and he always said "no"...but not really giving me a specific answer as to why.

Well, I finally got tired of someone who saw me for 10 minutes every six months making the decision for me as to what I could do for a condition that I had. He didn't have it....I did. And everything he had suggested and promoted wasn't working. So, I got LDN on my own and never discussed it with him again. And it's working!! I didn't (and don't) expect it to be a cure or a miracle drug but it sure has helped me a lot. Time will tell if it slows or halts the progression of the disease but that's the same as if I were on a DMD. In my opinion LDN should be considered a DMD.

I go back to see the Neuro in December. I will also go for an MRI in December, too. It will be my last one for 2 years. He'll probably have a fit that I'm taking it but I could care less. My health insurance benefits will be terminated as of 12/31 so I don't expect I'll be going back to see him for another two years or at least until Medicare kicks in.

And I am one of the ones who decided to try and limit the additional sx meds I was taking. I was just taking so many pills a day and the side effects from them were making me more miserable than the sx themselves were. I weaned myself off of Zoloft by cutting my dose in half each week until I was no longer on it. I haven't had one negative side effect from that. And the Neurontin I just stopped taking altogether (I was on 900 mg 3Xdaily). I didn't have any negative side effects from stopping that one either. I have since started walking on the treadmill for a few minutes several times a day and taking Aleve when needed (usually once a day around mid-morning). I no longer take Baclofen, either.

Now, I'm not saying this would work for everyone but it did for me. Just like no DMD works for everyone. It's all individual. But I would absolutely give the LDN a try....with or without your Neuro's blessing.

I'm sorry if I come across "anti-doctor" because I'm not. I just got fed up with someone who doesn't even know what my favorite color is calling all the shots as to what I could do to help myself. I tried his way....now I'm going to try my way. I think, too, that over the past 7 years I have developed a thicker skin and a resolve to take care of myself and not depend so much on others to make decisions for me. I am my own best advocate.

Good luck and hopefully you have a Neuro that is open-minded and will agree to give this a try. But you don't need his permission.....his blessing would be nice....but ultimately it's up to you.

Take care!
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
barb02 (09-10-2008), lady_express_44 (09-10-2008), SallyC (09-10-2008), Tree55 (09-10-2008)