Thread: SAM-e
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2006, 02:54 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

People take S-Adenosyl-L-methionine/SAMe to help their liver if they have chronic hepatitis. AFAIK it's supposed to help stabilize liver enzymes in the process. I also know that there are different types or grades in quality of SAMe, with some brands being more pure than other brands, a bit like with Melatonin. I used to get mine sent to me from USA at a time it wasn't available here readily.

Curious, glad it's helped you. I took it for a long time some years ago. I have read about it actually causing sleeping problems in people who are highly sensitive to the SAMe. No idea how often that occurs. About the low LTF's... Some of the tests can be low in certain illnesses, but the doctor would have looked at the whole list of the LFT's and got a better picture, so that low level might not have been of any cause for worry from what he could see. I reckon liver function tests as they're called really should be re-named as liver enzyme tests, 'cause although they measure liver enzymes pretty specifically, they don't _always_ give a good picture of the health of the liver anyway. depends.

west, Certain forums of Vitamin B3/Niacin can sometimes cause flushing or elevated liver enzymes if you were taking any of that. I'm not totally sure if 5-HTP can cause elevated liver enzymes, but I know that the SSRI medications can, so it this had happened to me, I would have wondered if the 5-HTP might have been the culprit. I'm not sure what conditions you might have, but there are a number of conditions where the use of 5-HTP should be really used with great caution and also be well monitored.
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote