Thread: Avonex
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2008, 09:22 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilfools View Post
I was jsut wondering if someone could share some advice on Avonex, I am being switch from Copaxone which besides the welts I havent had any problems. I know with Avonex there is alot of side effects any advice on how to head these off if possible???

Thakns
Lisa

I am no fan of Avonex. BUt here is my advice. Start off with 1/4 dose first week, then half dose the next week and build up to 3/4 dose the following week and full dose the last week.

Be sure to premedicate with the Advil, and then take another two advils 4 to 6 hours later and then a third dose another 4 to 6 hours or so. Then take it the next day if you need to.

Stay very well hydrated on shot day and day after.

Lay low on shot day: dont run around doing errands. Don't exercise on shot day.

The mix it yourself powder form has less severe side effects than the prefilled form of avonex. Biogen doesnt know why, nor are they researching why. It's just reality.

Keep a list of the Lot numbers of your avonex and save the box tear offs with the lot numbers just in case there is another recall of Avonex like in 2004.

If you can, stick with Copaxone instead.

Mayo Clinic rarely prescribes Avonex. They say its for milder forms of MS and they do not treat milder, less aggressive MS. They prescribe C, Rebif, Betaseron instead of Avonex. I do not know their stance on Tysabri though.
BBS1951 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote