View Single Post
Old 09-11-2008, 06:36 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Yes, I have heard of Stiff Man/Stiff Person Syndrome

When I went to see a Rheumatologist he mentioned PD and Stiff Person Syndrome to me. He said that the cogwheel rigidity that I was experiencing is most commonly associated with PD though. The one thing about Stiffperson Syndrome that keeps popping into my head is that it is typically associated with people that have autoimmune type 1 diabetes...which I developed at the age of 27. Basically, my body made antibodies that attacked the beta(insulin producing) cells in my body. The way that they determined that I had type 1was by running a GAD antibody test. Apparently that is the same test that they run to determine if you have Stiff Person Syndrome, but from what I understand, the GAD test results will be off the charts if you do in fact have SPS. At the time my type 1 diabetes was diagnosed my GAD results were just above 5.0, which is just above normal. I think I will ask my doctor to run that GAD test again and see what the numbers are now. I am pretty sure that I have PD. My tremor is very subtle and usually occurs with intentional movement, but the tremors definitely become more pronounced when I become upset about something and become very pronounced even in a resting state. I am going to see a MDS in November, so I hope to get some clearer answers from him.
Evonne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote