Thread: Your 9/11 Story
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2008, 12:47 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Like all of you, September 11, 2001 is a day that will forever be etched in my memory.

I had worked overtime the night before so I was still in bed. My roommate came in and woke me, telling me that a plane had just hit the World Trade Center in NY. I was kind of groggy and said something like oh.. ok... uh huh, that's not funny.

My roommate grabbed my foot pulling me out of bed yelling at me saying that they were not joking. At that point I woke up immediately ran to the living room just in time to see the plane hit the second tower.

I was mortified as a dear friend of mine was supposed to be on a flight out of Boston that day heading for vacation. I made a few phone calls but no one had heard from her. No one knew if she had made the flight or not.

I was glued to the television until I had to leave for work.

While on the way to work I heard on the radio that many firefighters, police, and employees that worked in the towers were unaccounted for. For some reason an old friend's face and name popped into my head... I recalled that he was a Port Authority Officer in NY. My heart sunk.... I called mutual friends but no one had heard from him in a while. A couple of friends came up with phone numbers for him so we all started calling. We all kept calling each other but no one had reached him. It was a while later when we discovered that he was one of the missing. He is still one of the missing.

Once I got to work, I was walking around in a daze not really knowing what I should do or even why I was there... the place was pretty empty. I then went outside with one of the supervisors to check on an outbuilding. The supervisor asked me if I would stay outside just to keep an eye on things. While sitting out there I heard a car approaching me. I looked around to see who it might be... It was my friend who was supposed to be on the flight out of Boston. She had changed her flight for a later date so she never made it to Boston. I was never so relieved.

I can still recall so much of that day... The sky was so blue. It was so quiet outside... not a plane in the sky, no clouds, even the birds weren't flying. The interstate which runs nearby was even quiet. I remember seeing peoples faces as they passed me by... most were in shock and many were crying. Our world had changed for ever in the blink of an eye and all we could really do that day was hug our loved ones and ask why.

Bless all who were lost that day and all of their loved ones who remain.

Abbie

Rest in Peace
3/8/90 ~~ 4/2/12
Abbie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Darlene (09-11-2008), GladysD (09-11-2008), Ivy2 (09-11-2008), Kitty (09-11-2008), MelodyL (09-11-2008), Nik-key (09-11-2008), Vonn07 (09-11-2008), weegot5kiz (09-11-2008), who moi (09-11-2008)