Thread: How long...
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2008, 06:37 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Don't Give Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim0918 View Post
How long are we to be expected to have our once productive lives just stripped away from us. Prior to PD I was a 31 year old firefighter/paramedic, had a bright career, a wife and was basically happy with life. Now I've ran the course of the meds, had DBS which I recently found out that my neuro was turning down the stimulator, telling me he was turning it up! He even contradicts the settings in my chart! I'm supposed to go to a MDS but my wife won't change her day off to go with me. Last week I was in a nursing home because they couldnt care for me at home. I could not get anyone to answer the call bell after 15 mins and I ****** myself all over the bed. My life has been reduced to pitiful. I cannot be sexual because of SSRI's that I take for depression. My wife makes more time to spend with my grown daughters than with me. We sleep in separate bedrooms because I turn too much and I snore. She is not even interested in just laying in bed and talking together, I tell her that it doesnt have to be sex, she says thats what it will turn into and then I can't come through. My life sucks. Some days I am happy but not lately. I see more that I have lost than I have to gain. It seemed like they were glad to get me into a home, worried only that I would be "cared" for and didn't even stay 30 mins. I don't know but there does not seem anything to look forward to, I need something to hold, something to hope in. I have 3 great dogs, two black labs and a poodle mix. This past December I was in the garage and I tied an extension cord to the rafters and twisted it around my neck, stood on a bucket and they were what I thought of, they saved me. Maybe I'll just fall asleep next to them and hope for tomorrow.
Jim,

I am so sorry that you are feeling this way...and especially sorry to hear that your doctor is really playing around with you. It sounds like you seriously need to go see a MDS. That would be the first step that I would take. Hopefully, the new guy will be able to get things set just right for you and you will regain some of your abilities. Also, sorry to hear about the situation with your wife. She doesn't sound very sympathetic and that must be hard. It might be that she is really having a hard time watching you decline and it is hard for her too. She would probably really benefit from going to a PD support group with you. It is a great place to go for support and to learn about the great doctors in your area. As far as being in a home, I can only imagine how difficult that must be. I just started working in a home and I am actually taking care of a woman that has PD. She is in a wheelchair and completely dependent on me for all of her care. It plays with my emotions because I can easily picture myself where she is some day down the road. That is why it is so important for me to give her the best possible care that I can. I wish that other people could be more empathetic and relate to the residents the way that I do. On the other hand, I get a little too emotional and I know that is not good for me either. Even still...I prefer to have a heart! Hang in there, Jim. I will be praying for you, your family, and that you are blessed by having a wonderful set of caregivers. Your life is worth living.

Evonne
Evonne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote