View Single Post
Old 09-12-2008, 06:15 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default My child is breaking apart!!

My son was started on Vyvanse for his ADHD in August because he had burned out at max dose on the Concerta after being on it for a couple of years. He was also prescribed Klonopin because his anxiety level has just been off the charts. So we cut his Abilify down to 7.5, half of .25mg of Klonopin and the Vyvanse.

Lately we noticed that he has been really touchy mood wise. Using foul language more often when he is angry and when called on it he gets worse. I try to let it slide for the most part because I recognize it for what it is because when the storm blows over he is a totally different child. He has become more sensitive to the smallest of slights real or imagined. Day before yesterday he became angry at me for something, guess I kinda pushed him because I didn't realize he was in one of his no go zones. Making faces, childish stuff, he started it lol. Anyway he became angry and grabbed a laundry basket out of my hand and threw it. So I told him to knock it off, he did his what are you going to do which I usually just ignore and he just got angrier and angrier and by this time I am back to folding laundry but I can hear him ranting and raving in his room. Then he is packing his duffel bag, leaving and I won't have to deal with him ever again. disappears in room for a while, comes out in tears and stands in front of me sobbing and asks, "am I a bad son". I tell ya it about broke my heart. I held him and told him he was by no means a bad son, he was a great son who had bad moments and I apologized for pushing him and everything was fine.

Last night was worse, he misunderstood a question I had asked earlier in the evening about the front door being locked so when we got home it was unlocked well it just set something loose in him. He kept trying so hard to make me argue almost physically fight him. I just kept ignoring it and he kept cussing at me. I made his little brother go in my room as soon as it started. He was going in and out of his room and finally I told him to knock it off, just go to his room, well then we get the what are ya gonna do ground me thing. Well this was the weekend for his girlfriend to stay over so I took that priviledge away. He says fine what do you want me to tell her, like it was my fault lol. I said you tell her that you don't know how to act and are rude and disrespectful and because you continue to argue and use foul language you aren't allowed to have company this weekend.

Truly it was awful. I am so glad that the BF wasn't here because my son has attacked him twice already and even though my BF is bigger he does not want to fight him. We have already been there.

So in the meantime I am waiting for that stupid nurse at the mental health place to contact the pdoc to let me know what I should do. I threw out this mornings dose of Vyvanse and I am thinking of raising the Abilify back up because that is always what helped his rages in the past.

I hope someone calls me.

He is at his grandmother's now.