View Single Post
Old 09-13-2008, 04:33 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I've run into a person who did the shirt thing in my home town (there are 3 or 4 of us here with MG). I found it a little strange, actually. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see why the general public NEEDS to know about it anymore than we need to know about Charcot Marie Tooth disease or Anti-Phospho Lipid Antibody syndrome or any of the countless other rare diseases. In actuality, the general public just doesn't care unless it affects THEM. I am a health care professional, and when I mentioned what was going on with me during the early years, most of my coworkers knew little about the disease, or even indicated they wanted to learn. I just got pity. Unfortunately, that is just human nature.

Now if you want to print up some little info sheets to send to a friend or family member who ASKS you about what you're going through, that is perfectly lovely and would actually give you a chance to personalize it with the areas that affect you the most (swallow/double vision/etc). I know as a newbie, you are trying to make sense of this monster, and doing this kind of stuff helps. I hope you find a reliable support system to help you cope--it does take time to find that circle of friends who are willing to go the distance with you.

Take care!

BTW---"Ike" finally struck here--we are 200 miles north of San Antonio. All he had to give us was a tiny bit of wind and a light shower. He ain't so tough anymore! We were actually hoping for several inches of rain--it's not to be.
MissyGirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote