Thread: Gdnf
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2008, 09:48 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Gdnf

Like many here, I thought GDNF was owned by Amgen and unavailable for research until the patent expired...but I saw this article on Fox's website that indicates GDNF may not be as unavailable as I thought...here's a quote, the link follows. I'd welcome any info. anyone has about this. BTW, the name of the company doing this trojan horse research is eerily similar to Amgen...

"Building on earlier work funded by MJFF under its Community Fast Track initiative, the ArmaGen team, led by principal investigator Ruben J. Boado, PhD, will work with the trophic factor GDNF. They will try to enable it to cross the blood-brain barrier by re-engineering it using Trojan horse technology. The end goal is to create a safe and effective treatment in which GDNF, fused to a genetically engineered antibody that is naturally capable of crossing the blood-brain barrier, can be injected intravenously into the blood. The antibody, “hiding” the GDNF inside itself — as the Trojan horse of Homer’s Iliad hid Greek soldiers, allowing them to enter Troy — would then ferry the attached GDNF across the blood-brain barrier, from the blood to the target site in brain."

http://www.michaeljfox.org/newsEvent...cle.cfm?ID=263
lurkingforacure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote