Thread: Gdnf
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2008, 04:01 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Armagen sounds like amgen doesn't it? There is other gdnf out there, which involves the use of human fetal cells. It could possibly involve embryonic cells as well. I don't know the source of MJFF's GDNF for this delivery and don't want to be quoted as being a source of info on this. But unless there is some secret research going on, amgen's gdnf is not permitted for human research.

The company names are confusing and get your attention...is there a reason for the similarity? I don't know the answer to that, but don't know of any other synthetic gdnf in the United States other than Amgen's . I think the others involve fetal or embryonic cells to develop and/or deliver it. The fetal cell aspect is downplayed and or left out of some of the articles.

Someone please correct this if it is inaccurate.

paula

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingforacure View Post
Like many here, I thought GDNF was owned by Amgen and unavailable for research until the patent expired...but I saw this article on Fox's website that indicates GDNF may not be as unavailable as I thought...here's a quote, the link follows. I'd welcome any info. anyone has about this. BTW, the name of the company doing this trojan horse research is eerily similar to Amgen...

"Building on earlier work funded by MJFF under its Community Fast Track initiative, the ArmaGen team, led by principal investigator Ruben J. Boado, PhD, will work with the trophic factor GDNF. They will try to enable it to cross the blood-brain barrier by re-engineering it using Trojan horse technology. The end goal is to create a safe and effective treatment in which GDNF, fused to a genetically engineered antibody that is naturally capable of crossing the blood-brain barrier, can be injected intravenously into the blood. The antibody, “hiding” the GDNF inside itself — as the Trojan horse of Homer’s Iliad hid Greek soldiers, allowing them to enter Troy — would then ferry the attached GDNF across the blood-brain barrier, from the blood to the target site in brain."

http://www.michaeljfox.org/newsEvent...cle.cfm?ID=263

"Time is not neutral for those who have pd or for those who will get it."

Last edited by paula_w; 09-14-2008 at 07:26 PM.
paula_w is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote