View Single Post
Old 09-14-2008, 11:15 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Matrix metalloproteinases MMPs - DANGER BIG WORD!!!!!

MMP-9s play a BIG role in MS damage. Reducing them a TAD would seem to be a GOOD idea. Her are some abstracts from PubMed - NLM. I have the FULL text of the last abstract in my web storage area.

http://home.ix.netcom.com/~jdalton/Yongrev.pdf

(SEE Fig 2 and MS section on page 505)

I posted earlier in THIS thread a number of "THINGS" that reduce MMP-9s. I do not like to take a LOT of any one THING so I take a MED HIGH dose of several of them on a rotational basis. I do take the grape skin extract caps and two glasses of good red wine each day(for the liquid RESVERATROL).

jackD

Quote:
Neuroscientist. 2002 Dec;8(6):586-95.

Matrix metalloproteinases and neuroinflammation in multiple sclerosis.

Rosenberg GA.

Department of Neurology, University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87131, USA.

Matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) are extracellular matrix remodeling neutral proteases that are important in normal development, angiogenesis, wound repair, and a wide range of pathological processes.

Growing evidence supports a key role of the MMPs in many neuroinflammatory conditions, including meningitis, encephalitis, brain tumors, cerebral ischemia, Guillain-Barré, and multiple sclerosis (MS).

The MMPs attack the basal lamina macromolecules that line the blood vessels, opening the blood-brain barrier (BBB). They contribute to the remodeling of the blood vessels that causes hyalinosis and gliosis, and they attack myelin.

During the acute inflammatory phase of MS, they are involved in the injury to the blood vessels and may be important in the disruption of the myelin sheath and axons. Normally under tight regulation, excessive proteolytic activity is detected in the blood and cerebrospinal fluid in patients with acute MS.

Because they are induced in immunologic and nonimmunologic forms of demyelination, they act as a final common pathway to exert a "bystander" effect. Agents that block the action of the MMPs have been shown to reduce the damage to the BBB and lead to symptomatic improvement in several animal models of neuroinflammatory diseases, including experimental allergic encephalomyelitis. Such agents may eventually be useful in the control of excessive proteolysis that contributes to the pathology of MS and other neuroinflammatory conditions.
PMID: 12467380 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Quote:
1: Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2008 Feb;19(1):42-51. Epub 2007 Jun 19.

MMPs in the central nervous system: where the good guys go bad.

Agrawal SM, Lau L, Yong VW.

Hotchkiss Brain Institute and the Department of Clinical Neuroscience, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

Matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) are expressed in the developing, healthy adult and diseased CNS. We emphasize the regulation of neurogenesis and oligodendrogenesis by MMPs during CNS development, and highlight physiological roles of MMPs in the healthy adult CNS, such as in synaptic plasticity, learning and memory.

Nonetheless, MMPs as "the good guys" go bad in neurological conditions, likely aided by the sudden and massive upregulation of several MMP members. We stress the necessity of drawing a fine balance in the treatment of neurological diseases, and we suggest that MMP inhibitors do have therapeutic potential early after CNS injury.
PMID: 17646116 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Quote:
Neurol Neurochir Pol. 2005 Jan-Feb;39(1):63-7. Links
[Role of matrix metalloproteinases in the pathogenesis of multiple sclerosis][Article in Polish]

Kurzepa J, Bartosik-Psujek H, Suchozebrska-Jesionek D, Rejdak K, Stryjecka-Zimmer M, Stelmasiak Z.
Katedra i Zakład Biochemii, Katedra i Klinika Neurologii, Akademia Medyczna im. prof. Feliksa Skubiszewskiego w Lublinie, ul. Jaczewskiego 8, 20-954 Lublin, Poland.

Multiple sclerosis (MS) is an autoimmune disease whose features include a massive lymphocyte recruitment into the central nervous system and segmental demyelinization of the white matter. One of the MS development factors is an increase of matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) activity with a coincidental decrease of tissue inhibitors of MMPs (TIMPs) activity. Investigations of serum, cerebrospinal fluid and brain tissue of patients showed an increase of MMP-1, -2, -3, -7, -9 and MMP-12 activity. MMPs disrupt the blood-brain barrier (BBB), increase lymphocyte migration into the central nervous system and are involved in degradation of myelin proteins. MMPs induce the appearance of an active form of tumor necrosis factor alpha, a strong proinflammatory cytokine. The drugs used in MS treatment decrease MMPs expression. Multiple actions of MMPs prove their involvement in the pathogenesis and treatment of MS.
PMID: 15735992 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Quote:
1: Trends Neurosci. 1998 Feb;21(2):75-80.

Trends Neurosci. 2001 Jan;24(1):8-9.

Matrix metalloproteinases and diseases of the CNS.

Yong VW, Krekoski CA, Forsyth PA, Bell R, Edwards DR.
Dept of Oncology, University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

Matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) are increasingly being implicated in the pathogenesis of several CNS diseases. In multiple sclerosis, MMPs could be responsible for the influx of inflammatory mononuclear cells into the CNS, contribute to myelin destruction and disrupt the integrity of the blood-brain barrier; in Alzheimer's disease, MMPs might mediate the deposition of amyloid beta-proteins; and MMPs are known to contribute to the invasiveness of malignant glioma cells and might regulate their angiogenic capacity. Nonetheless, MMPs could also have beneficial roles in recovery from CNS injury.Therefore, both the identity of the MMP and its cellular origin could determine whether disease pathogenesis or regeneration occurs, and thus synthetic MMP inhibitors might be valuable for treating some CNS diseases.

PMID: 9498303 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Last edited by jackD; 09-14-2008 at 11:52 PM.
jackD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
dmplaura (09-15-2008)