View Single Post
Old 09-14-2008, 11:24 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default our corner of the world

Hey, are we the only part of the universe left??? All the posters are from just south of me in Washington State. Even Paula is in Seattle.

evonne: I will put in a good word for you with the powers in the universe. When you no longer are working you will make one heck of an advocate having been in the system for many years.

When I first got my insurance license, I was a single mom just trying to get by and I needed a job fast. I got the highest mark in my class on the final exam and of course I had my pick of the jobs in agencies that contacted the college looking for new recruits. But coincidentally a small agency was contacted by the woman who ran the life skills course at the school looking for companies who would take on a practicum placement (that meant you needed extra help, learning to talk to people, dress for the business world, the importance of personal hygiene etc.) I was not needing any help in that area, so the college pushed me right out the door There was a misunderstanding between the rep from the college and the woman at the agency when the woman at the agency asked the rep if she had anyone who was sharp enough for a counter job and the rep thought
of me. I went to see the office manager and she really liked me and she said she'd hire me, but I had 3 more interviews lined up, so I told her I'd get back to her at the end of the week. I went to the other interviews,and was offered 2 of the 3 other jobs. At the end of the week, I knew the first interview was where I needed to be. Even tho the other jobs all paid more, and 1 of them came with full benefits. I phoned my first interview back and asked if the job was still available. Donna (the woman who interviewed me) was thrilled to have me. She told me some time later that when I had walked out the door the first day we met she was sure I was gone for good.
She nearly fell off her chair when I phoned her back and said I wanted to work there. She asked me why I came back. I told her that It just felt right, and knew the first day that was probably the job I would take, but I had to go do the other interviews to be sure. Then when I started she found out I hadn't been through a practicum and she nearly had a heart attack (practicums are usually 3 months and you learn the basics on the governments training program, which also pays your wage!) She got over it pretty quick when I learned quickly, and she realized I was worth having around.....I stayed there and loved it for nearly two years. Great people to work with, the pay was lousy, no benefits, minimum holidays. But I was happy and I could always afford peanut butter for sandwiches. Yes you will be fine Evonne. Because someone will know that your caring heart will make you superior to the faster, brighter, Highy efficient but less caring others. Doors will open for you. I know it. Never doubt and never fear.
Now Get Going!!!!