View Single Post
Old 11-10-2006, 04:40 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Sally,

AGR makes some really good points. There are points in between nursing home and unassisted living. And some pretty nice options too. Assisted living has a huge range too and the nice thing about it is that if your needs change, your level of assistance can change too. I also agree with AGR that when you're around like-level people, it isn't such a big deal any more because everyone is in the same boat. So you get instant understanding and a group of similar people around you. It could actually be a GOOD thing.

I know it's probably overwhelming right now. Does social services have a social worker available? They're usually the people to talk to about what kind of living solution might be most appropriate. They also have lots of good contacts to get the ball rolling. I know for me, just having to go out and start looking into things is exhausting, so the more help you can get to do all the preliminary leg work, the better.

It could even give you more independence to move to more accommodating facilities because you would no longer depend on your daughter & family as much but could just enjoy their company.

Or, maybe all you need is one of those medic alert buttons, so that you know that help is close if you need it. Maybe that and some alterations to your home environment to make it safer are all that you need.

Don't feel scared. There ARE lots of options out there and some of them could be really beneficial for you. Living alone for anyone has its pitfalls - do you remember on Sex & the City how Miranda was terrified that she would die and her cat would feast on her and no one would know? I think there are fears for women living alone, disabled or not.

Maybe phone your local MS Society and see if THEY have someone to come in and help you assess your living situation and needs. They might be the place to start.

(((((((((((((((((Sally)))))))))))))))))))))
wannabe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote