Thread: Bull Dog
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2008, 04:00 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default VA is good...

John,

I think for sure it is related; all the shots you take to go out of the country make many people sick. Many people have Malaria on these trips. I remember one trip taking about ten shots and made sure I got the Malaria pills when I got home. Looks like you have a good case to go on VA Benefits with the DD 214 backing you. TFL is great for us also, thank goodness, it has saved me many dollars.

I am new on the MG and probably will come down with something. They have to weaken the immune system so other medicine will work.

I wanted to stay in the reserve longer but the limits on time in grade got me, but it sure is nice to have the retirement check every month.

Bull Dog
Fairhope, AL

Quote:
Originally Posted by GI6607 View Post
I'm a Gulf Vet. I retired from the Reserves last year after 41 years to the day from the day I enlisted to retirement. 4-5 months before retirement I was diagnosed with MG. It's gotten steadily worse and I am now on Mestinon (which was issued to us to carry in our gas masks in the Gulf, called pyridostigmine bromide) as well as Cellcept. It looks like it has caused central sleep apnea, causing me to now wear a bi-pap mask to sleep. I called Gulf Vets Health Hotline and asked them how many cases of MG are being reported among Gulf Vets. They told me 1 in 100. That is alarming when compared to frequency rates in normal population which I believe runs about 1 in 8000 to 10000 people. MG is a presumptive condition with the VA which means if you have the DD 214, they presume the condition is service-connected.
Bull Dog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote