Thread: Hi, new here.
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2008, 10:15 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hi, new here.

Hi, I just signed up here, names Nick and I'm 18. I suffered a concussion 3 years ago my freshman year of high school. I fell about 11ft onto my head pole vaulting, they told me I was out for a half hour then they drugged me up so I didn't wake up until 5 hours after the indecent and had no idea what hospital I was at, never even knew they picked me up in a helicopter till someone told me hah.

Doctors told me nothing about post-concussion syndrome back then but I was in a program at high school - half days and such for the rest of that year. I suffered pretty bad symptoms that first month, constant headaches, couldn't walk quite straight, and had some pretty good dizzy spells that would bring me to the ground, etc.

I saw a doctor for headaches a couple months later, he gave me some pills that never worked so I just didn't go back. Then just figured things would get better with time, of course most of the first symptoms got better.

But, three years later here I am still having problems. I saw a family doctor for constant headaches a months ago. By constant I mean I wake up literally everyday with a headache and they last all day long, ranging in degree. I tried pill after pill with that doctor, one even sent me to the ER for a racing heart, that was fun ha.

He sent me to a neurologist that put me on propranolol, which I am currently on but yeah it didn't change a thing.

But, back to some more info stuff. I worked a lot this summer, over 70 hours a week on irrigation systems and now I'm a freshman in college. I spent they whole day with a friends dad working on systems. He noticed I definitely had problems focusing and with remembering things so yeah I'm thinking oh **** what else is wrong with me - is this related to my concussion?

I am very sensitive to light, driving at night with headlights, sitting in certain lighted rooms, looking at a flashlight, etc will always give me a headache, well a worse headache lol. Once in a while I'll get these weird vision things, like a whiteout or flash or something for god knows what reason - just random for a couple seconds, no idea. Along with that I have kinda blurry vision related with my terrible problem with headaches. Really is starting to wear me out physically and mentally.

I've only seen a neurologist for headaches now and thats all they are treating me for. But, now it seems I might have problems with memory and attention, ugh. I'm going to bring it up this friday when I see another neurologist. I've never really noticed any deficits that have affected my academically as I am a physics major, and it comes easy for me.

But I don't know, I can come up with examples of memory problems, difficulty concentrating, finding words and such but I don't know whats normal? I mean its been 3 years, I just can't tell myself what's normal as far as those things go. I'm coming to this forum looking for answers I guess and to talk about it, not sure how to approach things or were to go now.

Oh yea and sorry for writing a essay haha.
imprezagc8 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote