View Single Post
Old 11-10-2006, 06:30 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Rsd

Just my thoughts but with TOS and RSD (CRPS I & II) there seems to be so many schools of thought. Two surgeons deemed top in the field will automatically do a sympathectomy if you have symptoms of RSD. However, the same patients that corresponded with me were concerned because of the sympathectomy being done, made them worse now.

The blocks may help make the erve sleep during surgery, but blocks only last a short period of time. I think there are a lot of varibles to discuss with the surgeon pre op during the "informed consent" your right to know. The doctor has to tell you the risk, what will be done to reduce the risk and if the worse happens what they can do to reslove or address it.
For example: if a nerve in the arm is nicked, some surgoens explain that they will cut the enrve completly. This is because the nicked nerve will burn and hurt like he!!, but if the nerve is then cut it stops and will feel like novacain at the dentist instead.

One thing that hapens to some is the arm being placed with a tourniquet in the sling held up for long can bring on a whole new problem or escalate the old one; there are several nerves in the area that can be nicked, damaged in stretching, or cut too.

When I had knee surgery in 1997, I developed RSD in my foot. But still had a second surgery to again do the miniscis tear, clean up osteo arthritis that affected under the knee cap and removed a bakers cyct that formed. I did not get any exageration in my RSD in my foot. Opposit side of my body.

There is the conversation with the doctor, by signing away the permission consent a lot of side problems unless neglagence are signed away in the risk. As the doctor explained the risk.
I am not sure wht the research shows or tht there is any information of using blocks is protocol or would help. That is an area I have not researched, but will.

Just doing some thinking out loud and sharing some personal experiance.
IT is always best to call our surgeon and speak to them and ask all the questions you can think of and try to understand and reslove what happens in surgery and post op healing
Di

Pocono area, PA

DiMarie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote