View Single Post
Old 09-16-2008, 03:30 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Just had my surgery - what is normal

Hi there,

Living this whole thing has been nothing more than a nightmare to say the least. How are we expected to still be mothers, wives and employees when we can barely take care of ourselves ? I have so many questions and the surgeons office doesn't really have answers.... I had my surgery Sept 3,2008 and my head still at times feels fuzzy like before the surgery. Is that because the swelling inside is still slowing down the spinal fluid? Dis you have any of that. ? Is it normal for your scalp on one side to be numb-like, is it normal when you try to tilt your head toward your left or right shoulder that your balance / off feeling. I don't want to say vertigo - but sort of dizzy... How about walking around- is it normal to still be tired after a bit...? I know it has only been 12 days for me. Yesterday was an excellent day but last night, I didn't sleep much and it pretty much kept me on the couch all day. I think 5 hours wasn't enough for recovery.. what is normal ? what do other people feel ..? I am looking for information or anyone to help or talk to..... seems like there is no one that has had this surgery around here..... any advise would be nice..... THANKS !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hood21 View Post
I just had my decompression surgery on July 23, 2008. My recovery has been OK. I was up and walking 3 hours after I got out of recovery and was home 2 days after. I have done as I was asked by the Docter. Taking it easy and not overdoing it. I ended up with a small infection at the bottom of my scar 2 weeks later. Small amounts of drainage and medication I was doing ok until last Tuesday. I had a large amount of drainage and called my surgeon, he advised me to be checked out in the ER at our local hospital (He is 3 hrs away) It was found that I had CSF leakage and was transported to the hospital where I had the surgery. It seems my body doesn't like the under stitches and rejected every one of them. He restiched it with hopes of not having to put in a drain. I am home as of yesterday and I have the upmost confidence that all will end well. Recovery can be tricky and just getting to this point has been a long journey for me and my family. Many things can effect the out come. Good thing is the Migraines are gone and the Vertigo so as far as I am concerned the sugery was a success and I will get through this little ruff patch.
AllChiariOut is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote