View Single Post
Old 09-18-2008, 02:40 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I believe........

Your SSDI amount stays the same.

He can't get MC until 24 months after the date SS accepts as the start of his disability. If he is accepted for SSDI, that usually means the approved date of disability is exactly 1 year before he filed. At least that was how it worked for me:

injured 6/04
applied for SSDI 9/06
approved for SSDI 6/08
back pay goes back to date they recognize as my disability date (1year before I filed) 9/05
therefore eligible for MC 9/07, so I got MC as of 8/08 when my checks started coming

If you both had the BCBS through his work that he can no longer do, he will probably need to get COBRA or other coverage until he is MC eligible. You would need to do the same coverage or activate your own MC

I know that SSDI speeds through applications for certain diagnoses.....terminal conditions like cancer and ALS. I'm not sure if they can speed up the MC coverage in those cases too.

The other insurance option is Medicaid if your household income is now low enough.

Calling your local SS office is the best place to start. What I wrote is how I understand it, but as my husband will tell you.........I have been wrong in the past

Good Luck !
finz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote