View Single Post
Old 09-20-2008, 06:26 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default ADHD and OCD

Hello, MOM. I know you are worried about his "picking up" those behaviors from you but I believe they are more "HIS" than you think. He may have OCD as well as ADHD and you are just now picking up on it. The behaviors you have described are well within the OCD behaviors and with mom having OCD, it is more likely that he will have a chance of having it as well. Whether or not he has it is secondary to how you and he manage it. Hopefully that management will be with calm, order, and love and hopefully it won't become severe. Cognitive Behavioral strategies are great for these behaviors so if you can get a psychologist who is familiar with them, go for it. There are a few books as well. Google Cognitive Behavioral Therapy in children. I am a special education teacher with OCD and I have a son with Tourette Syndrome, OCD and ADHD so your son's behaviors sound very familiar to me. My son is in college now and although a bit quirky still, has grown into a great young man. Good luck with your meeting and don't be afraid to have your dr. diagnose your son because his teachers, with more information, can create his individual education plan better.
"Thanks for this!" says:
TigerMa (09-21-2008)