View Single Post
Old 09-20-2008, 01:52 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi mamaof6.
I'm sorry to hear about the hard times you are going through. My first advice to you is to get rid of the neuro you are seeing and start seeing an Epileptologist at an Epilepsy Center. I've had sz. for 36 yrs. and had 2 brain surgeries to reduce my sz. and just like you my sz. are starting to get worse.
You mentioned that you have your sz. in your sleep this could be a myoclonic sz. This type of sz. happens when a person first goes to bed or when they get up in the morning. It's been happening to me the past yr. and I will also have convuslions, fall out of a chair, etc. I found that when I was on tompamax it caused me to have many more sz. than before I was put on it. Whatever you do don't let your Dr. put you on neurontin it has been proven that this drug will cause status sz. along with other forms of sz. for people who have never had a single sz. in there life. The company making the drug has over $200 million in lawsuits.
I've also noticed that I have many more sz. in the fall and winter compared to the spring and summer these are known as "seasonal sz." because the change in the weather is causing more sz. for me.
If you're at the age where you could be going through your change that can make your sz. either better or worse. Also to much stress, lack of sleep, and if you've been sick with a virus or stomach bug it can mess up a person system sometimes leading to more sz. My advice to you is to start taking vitamin B12 1000 mcg. a day and cut back on any starch foods and carbs you may be eating. Start eating foods high in fat and low in protein this is known as the ketogenic diet for people with epilepsy and it has been a big help to me reducing my sz.
As for your neuro I know if I were in your place I would have him reported to the Medical Conduct Board. There's no need for him to treat you that way. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue
Porkette is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote