Old 09-20-2008, 02:34 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CayoKay View Post
um, I didn't ask.

but since he's six months old, he'll start the mating dance soon, and his defect will be passed on to offspring.

oh, and we're glad we sold him, we'd have a REALLY hard time eating him...

Kell, it's a lot harder to deal with meat, and take it from the barnyard to the table.

but... (and this is a HUGE but!) we KNOW for sure, everything the animal ate, how it was cared for, how sanitary the area is, and (I let my husband do it) a quick merciful end.

some of our inspiration for wanting to do this came from reading the book - Fast Food Nation, by Eric Schlosser:

Schlosser discusses his findings on meat packing companies IBP, Inc. and ConAgra and on Kenny Monfort. Schlosser also recounts the steps of meat processing and reveals several hazardous practices unknown to many consumers, for example, the practice of rendering dead pigs and horses and chicken manure into cattle feed. Schlosser notes that practices like these were responsible for the spread of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE, aka Mad Cow Disease), as well as introducing into the food supply harmful bacteria, such as E. coli.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_Food_Nation

we were appalled and horrified at the treatment of animals in the "efficient" and "modern" meat processing industry.

since we didn't want to become vegetarians, we opted to take responsibility for our own food, rather than leave it to greedy corporations.

You're doing it the right way, Kay. I just know me.....and the first time it came time for "it" to be done I'd be a wimpering blob on the floor!! I'm sure I'd get used to the idea over time...but it'd take me a while!

My sister and BIL purchased an Angus Bull with some neighbors (years ago) and kept it on their property to tend to until it was "time". Their plan was to share the meat. My sister cried for days beforehand...just knowing what was going to happen. She had mistakenly befriended the bull and fed it a few times. I don't think she ate any of the meat they got from him.
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Blues Girl (09-20-2008), CayoKay (09-20-2008), ewizabeth (09-20-2008), FinLady (09-20-2008), FranksAngel (09-20-2008), tkrik (09-20-2008), Vonn07 (09-20-2008), weegot5kiz (09-20-2008)