View Single Post
Old 09-21-2008, 12:54 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default MrsD

Hi MrsD,
I have a question regarding some unusual symptoms. I posted the next paragraph on another site (medhelp) and someone pointed me in this direction because they thought I might have magnesium, calcium, or potassium deficiency. Does this sound like it could be or no? Thanks for whatever info you can provide.

"I have a family history of MS. I used to get migraines with aura until I hit puberty. I have been diagnosed with panic disorder and have had depressive boughts starting in adolescence through the present. I am in my early 20s. I was training for a half-marathon in which my longest run at the time was 6 miles. One day, I ran 8 miles and walked 1.5 miles. I sat on a plane for 3 hours after that. I noticed twitching in my left foot/toes that night. The next morning, I had pain around my achilles area in the same foot. It went away within a day but the twitching became worse. It only twitches at rest. EIGHT WEEKS later it seems like the twitching is getting worse. I have started school again (we sit down almost all day) and now my toes always twitch at rest (sometimes a more forceful contraction than other times) and my glutes, quad, and calf (all on the same side) have all started twitching. I have recently had back pain that went away in two days. One strange thing is that if I think about it, I can stop my foot from twitching, but not my quads, calves, or glutes. I notice my leg getting more tired everyday. My calf is tight all the time. I don't notice the twitching when I'm walking. My opposite foot starts twitching in the arch sometimes but as of right now, position changes seem to work on only that foot and the twitching goes away. I am extremely frightened that I have MS or ALS or some other debilitating/fatal disease. I rarely (once every 1-2 days) have pain (when I do it's usually because of muscle cramping resulting from the muscle twitching). I continued to run sporadically for about two weeks after my initial week off (after the 8 mile long run). The twitching went down a little bit during the week off after rest but was still there. Somedays it seemed better but in the past week, my foot has been more active at night."

I have just started taking a generic form of Centrum Performance which only contains 40 mg of magnesium (oxide, bad kind), 80 mg of potassium, and 100 mg of calcium. In addition, I also take a Calcium with Vitamin D supplement (600 mg calcium carbonate and 200 IU cholecalciferol). I have a pretty bad diet but I have been eating around 1-2 bananas a day for a week.

I would appreciate your thoughts on the situation. Thank you!
Sna433 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote