View Single Post
Old 09-21-2008, 03:31 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I would like to ask if anyone has experienced this....

I am almost 1 yr post DBS, I have not been able to decrease my sinemet below the doseage that I was taking prior to DBS- 2 tablets every 2 hrs. I can walk, do most anything that I need to. The DBS just alleviates the dyskinesia that I was having. At my last neuro visit I was adjusted again wherein my neuro changed the lead paramters on my dbs and told me I had to cut back on my meds. I walked into the neuro office yet afterwards I was bedridden, wheelchair bound, had to be helped with everything. When I took my meds I had what one ER doctor described as ballistic dyskinesia-just out of control with my arms and legs, my head going from side to side. This was treated with ativan. I was in the ER twice, admitted for 3 days due these reactions, and I was placed in a nursing home because my wife couid not care for me by herself. I was sent to a MDS in Orlando. I was wheelchair bound and weak. My brother in law had to lift me into and out of his truck. I was examined and allowed to take my medication (sinemet). I had a very rapid response wherein I was able to stand and take a few steps within a few minutes. The tech returned my settings to where they were prior to my last "adjustment" by my neurologist. I was then able to leave the office WALKING. I did not return to the nursing home. I went home instead. On return to the MDS, he again examined me- the usual toe tapping, etc. I told him that I was feeling exceptionally loose. He even had my wife move my wrists and knees to show her that I had no cogwheeling rigidity,etc. He then proceeded to tell me that my PD is very well managed by my DBS. My symptoms in that I feel that I need medication, or that I am stiff are psychological and that they just arent' there. When I referred to my desire crawl instead of walking sometimes when I dont feel strong enough- he replied "Its all in your mind. That does not happen to Parkinsons patients!" He commented on how quickly I arose on my prior visit by saying that these medications don't work that fast. Well, I don't know what to say. I felt better after a few minutes and I stood up. I was hardly walking around. So now PD is in my mind. Upon leaving the office my wife says "see you dont need that medication". Anyone else had this happen to them? Have you had a fast reaction to the meds? He inferred that I seem well read on PD, that my vocabulary about the disease fits a patient that knows too much. He ended the visit by encouraging us to seek a psychiatrist.

Last edited by Jim091866; 09-21-2008 at 03:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Jim091866 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote