View Single Post
Old 11-12-2006, 08:23 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile Use of the Hoyer Lift

Dear LaMissGirl:

I was in my early 70s when we got a rental Hoyer lift to use with my husband. He had fallen two different times and broke a bone in his leg each time when using the transfer board from wheelchair to bed. I wish someone had suggested a Hoyer lift years before that. My husband had polio at age 17 and went from crutches to wheelchair many decades later. He is eight years older than I. Could sit unassisted but a little weak in the upper body, but did all right with the lift.

We had a hydraulic lift and I loved it! I felt it was safer and easier to control hyhdraulic than electric but I suppose eletric would have been OK too.

We had a wonderful green canvas cloth sling that was split in the middle, with two sections that went under the thighs, leaving the seat part open. Had a solid stiff back kpart and two separated thigh parts.

I finally got up the courage to lift him onto the portable commode, which I backed up to the closet doors for safety. The open seat of the sling makes it possible to use the commode or toilet with no possible danger of wetting or soiling since the two thigh supports are under the upper legs. These should be straight under the thighs with not wrinkling to make it the safest support. Wiping after a bowel movement, can be done with the lift raised high enough to do this and away from the commode for convenience to the care giver. Awkward but safe and possible! It it important for the person to be backed right up to the back of the wheelchair or commode - there is a sort of handle on the back of the sling to use to pull the person back so their back is flush to the seat.

I washed the sling by hand and air dried it - I think using a dryer might have damaged it. Read washing directions on sling. Mesh slings can be obtained for commode use - these more easily washed but I used the regular sling and that was perfectly fine.

The back of the sling was stiff and this was wonderful - was able to put sling on him while husband sitting in bed. Sling easy to remove when back in bed or wheelchair - just slip each thigh support to the side, and then lift up stiff back support. Could not be easier. Voila!

So many told me I could not manage a Hoyer lift without someone helping me - but I did it! The most important things are to get the sling put on correctly and to follow all lift directions so as to transport the person safely while he is in the sling. The legs of the lift must be spread while moving it - the two thigh supports must have the canvas straps crossed before attaching to the lift hooks. Just follow all directions in the manual and you will be OK. After a few times, the steps get to be a habit and you will not worry so much. But each time the lift is used you MUST do everything correctly.

Please feel free to ask any questions I have not addressed.

Shirley H.
Silver Swan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote