Thread: iron deficiency
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2008, 11:06 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default iron deficiency

Does anyone know anything about iron deficiency? My neuro tested blood with the CBC panel and told me I was showing mild anemia (slightly lower than normal hemoglobin and hemocrit and red blood cells) and therefore I should see my general practioner. The GP ran the CBC again and it came back normal. So she thought the first test was a fluke. However, my ferritin (iron) level was 20 and the range is 10-220. The GP still said "well, it's not 'generous' but it is still within normal range." Based on some reading I've done online some doctors think 20 is low. My hair has been falling out a lot and I have fatigue. I've always looked pale too!

Questions:
1. Should I make an appointment with the neuro again and ask her what she thinks of the ferritin levels? My GP doesn't seem concerned although she is making me give a stool sample to check for intestinal bleeding.
2. I'm worried about constipation from iron supplements as I've had chronic constipation for years from other meds. Is constipation unavoidable?
3. Does anyone know anything about IV iron? Doesn't that work a lot faster? Is it safe?

Thanks!
"Thanks for this!" says:
dmplaura (09-22-2008), SallyC (09-22-2008), Twinkletoes (09-22-2008)