View Single Post
Old 11-12-2006, 10:26 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb I'd like to add...

I went to that website... and I will be reading it in depth, too.

But when drugs are listed this way:
Quote:
# Increased weakness in a significant number of MG patients has been reported with the following drugs; use only with caution and monitor for exacerbation of MG symptoms:

* Neuromuscular blocking agents such as succinylcholine and vecuronium should only be used by an anesthesiologist familiar with MG
* Quinine, quinidine or procainamide
* Selected antibiotics, particularly aminogylcosides and ciprofloxacin (Note: Many other antibiotics have been reported to increase MG weakness in occasional patients.)
* Beta-blockers (propranolol, timolol maleate eyedrops)
* Calcium channel blockers
* Iodinated contrast agents (a form of X-ray dye)
I would definitely avoid all drugs in the quinolone family if Cipro is problematic.
All quininolones have actions on the nervous system. Levaquin, Avelox, Tequin, Floxin are included.

Nitrofurantoin is often used for urinary tract infections, but it has side effects on the peripheral nervous system.
Any drug listed with CNS or peripheral effects on nerves, would be problematic.

This is the listing from first to last intervention for UTI.. this is the typical scale used by many doctors.

Amoxicillin/Cephalexin
Sulfonamides (Septra)
Nitrofurantoin (Macrobid, Macrodantin)
Cipro

Doxycycline can be tried for some. It however causes alot of vaginal Candida overgrowth. And alot depends on what organisms are causing the problem.
Some doctors culture for them, to find the best agent.

Anyone with high risk factors should try daily cranberry extracts in tablet/capsule form 3 or 4 times a day. AzoStandard is one brand but there are many. There is an agent in cranberry that prevents bacteria
from attaching to the walls of the urinary tract. It can help prevent infections.
and is worth trying.

However, any acidic thing may interfere with physostigmine administration and elimination, so consult with your doctor on that.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote