View Single Post
Old 09-07-2006, 06:55 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks for the replys ladies!

I had c5/6 ACDF in 01 on an emergency basis. I had a herniated disc that was pressing on the spinal cord and exiting nerve along with a calcified post. long. ligament which was stuck to the cord. At that time we discovered it was rather significant but that we'd only deal with the immediate problem. I didn't know I had a bad back other than I suspected some arthritis just because the rest of my body was already ridden with osteo arthritis. It caused me to totally lose the use of my left arm. The surgery regained the use and stopped that horrible pain that came with it, but it was compressed long enough that it left me with pretty significant nerve damage and I lost some use and fine motor skills. Then one year later, it happened all over again. I had a revision and extension of the fusion to include C4/7.

I think the problems with my neck now, are being caused by the arthritis. There really isn't anything impinging on the cord, other than the arthritis over growth. I don't know of any other treatment options short of surgery and just palative care for now.

What triggered the new MRIs was an epside where I side stepped someone and immediately BOTH arms went week and numb/tingly all over. I was scared to death as I wasn't home and no way of driving to get me home. I sat where I was for over an hour, I was finally able to move my arms and get myself home. Very scarey!

The catch 22 for a person with arthritis is, more surgery means more arthritis.

I have pain, but it's really never been the big issue with me. I'm very active and everything I love to do requires a physical being, it's killing me. I am finally able to exercise and it really helps. But, most of the time after a work out I have to come home and rest the rest of the day, it's almost counter productive but it does keep me flexible.

I'm still way to young for this

Linda
Username is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote