View Single Post
Old 09-22-2008, 08:42 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie8 View Post
Does anyone know anything about iron deficiency? My neuro tested blood with the CBC panel and told me I was showing mild anemia (slightly lower than normal hemoglobin and hemocrit and red blood cells) and therefore I should see my general practioner. The GP ran the CBC again and it came back normal. So she thought the first test was a fluke. However, my ferritin (iron) level was 20 and the range is 10-220. The GP still said "well, it's not 'generous' but it is still within normal range." Based on some reading I've done online some doctors think 20 is low. My hair has been falling out a lot and I have fatigue. I've always looked pale too!

Questions:
1. Should I make an appointment with the neuro again and ask her what she thinks of the ferritin levels? My GP doesn't seem concerned although she is making me give a stool sample to check for intestinal bleeding.
2. I'm worried about constipation from iron supplements as I've had chronic constipation for years from other meds. Is constipation unavoidable?
3. Does anyone know anything about IV iron? Doesn't that work a lot faster? Is it safe?

Thanks!

Hey Natalie~ Well, I could have almost written your post. My Neuro told me my ferritin level was too low, too. *around 23 I think*. So, he put me on iron supps. I was concerned, as I too, had ventured onto the internet and became alarmed, so I went to my Gastroenterologist, who immediately took me off the iron supps.

The ferritin level is the ''bank'' that hold extra iron for your body, should your iron levels go low. The supps were causing painful constipation, dark stools and IBS. *which I already had, so it made it much worse* My Gastro checked for blood in my stool, etc and all was well, so I decided to try and add iron to my diet through iron rich foods.

My Gasto told me that my Neuro should stick to what HE knows best and not alarm me. BUT, I DO think you need to make sure you are not low on iron due to other problems. A stool check, etc would definitely be a good idea. I do not take anything like that lightly, as my Father passed away from Colon CA. My PCP echoed what the Gastro said, so I guess I'll just say, that I think you should listen to your PCP.

Oh, and my Gastro told me that ferritin levels have such a wide range b/c they can change when a person's immune sx is low or depending on if you'd had a cold, etc. He said that everyone is diff, so guess that's why your PCP was also not alarmed.

Do what you feel is best for you, but my Dr told me to listen to him and not the internet. (I still go online and do searches, ha~~~ he can't tell me what to do... My DH has been trying that for years.

Take care Natalie and keep us posted.

DM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
dmplaura (09-22-2008), GladysD (09-23-2008), Natalie8 (09-22-2008), SallyC (09-22-2008)